Friday, March 4, 2011

We Get To Choose


Today is Spencer's 27th birthday. I can't remember not having him home for his birthday except while he was on his mission, so I hope he will have a good day. The NFL is still in negotiations with the Players Union and today is the deadline to get an agreement between the owners of the teams and the players. I don't understand what the problems are, but think they should work it out for the sake of all the families whose lives depend on the sport. I am thankful that Spencer got his degree so if there is a lockout of the players he will hopefully be able to find a job.

I have been saddened by the conflict I have had with some of my family members this week. I've tried to figure it out in my mind what I can do to help the situation and for a few days the feeling has come that I need to respect every ones right to their free agency. I was taught from an early age that we fought in Heaven for the right to CHOOSE for ourselves what we wanted to do. I know as a teenager I rebelled against some of the rules my parents had put for our family to follow. I did however realize as I matured that they just wanted what was best for me. As I talked to my Dad on Tues. I could tell that he still feels bad about the way he treated me while I was growing up. We just disagreed about a lot of issues and I felt like he didn't respect my opinions. However, I would never call him and try and make a case for his shortcomings because he already knows. I think as parents we do the best we can in the situation we are put in. I have felt many times that I was way over my head trying to raise four children by myself while Rich was busy working and trying to put food on the table and shelter over our heads. Being married and having children has been really hard for me, but I loved my family and tried my best. That is the great thing about having grand children, you get to love them from a distance and not have the responsibilty of teaching them right from wrong other than through example. Since Kamber passed away I have felt such a struggle to feel worthy to be with her again. I want us all to be together again on the other side but that will depend on the lives we choose to live.

No comments: