Friday, March 25, 2011

On The Road Again


Yesterday morning Rich came in to propose a plan to get me to Camp Verde to pick up my little bunnies. He suggested that I go to work with him, check on a couple of jobs and then we would hit the freeway and make our way up north. At first I wasn't so sure I wanted to spend the whole day on a road trip, but I hurried and started my dishwasher, threw a load of laundry in, got dressed and off we went. Rich is so busy running his company that we never really have time to spend alone. He's always worked 12-14 hours a day and I've spent all my time here at home by myself, so spending the day with him is really rare. While he was working on a job I sat in the truck listening to the radio and working on a quilt. I had the windows down and felt the cool breeze on my face, hearing all the birds chirping. Before we left I went in to see what the job looked like, I hear about jobs sometimes, but never actually see the transformation that comes once he gets the work done. We had a nice drive up the I 17 and enjoyed looking at the mountains and landscape. The only time we go that way is when we go to Utah and lately Rich has just flown in the airplane. Anyway, we made it up there around 12:30 p.m. and spent some time talking to Sally about her rabbits, chickens and even a cute little sheep. When I talked to her on the phone she only had one little female but when we got there she decided to let me buy two. I guess when I told her how sad I was about my Colorado rabbits she felt sorry and decided she would part with them. Sally was kind, most people that like animals are super nice. As we left Rich and I felt sorry for her as she told us that her husband can't find any work. We felt really blessed that we have been fortunate to make it through this rough economy, so far. We had planned to have a nice lunch but were running out of time as we needed to make it back to Phoenix to check on another job, hit Home Deport to pick up a window before dropping me off for Dave to bring me home. Rich had a meeting about a new job at 5:00 p.m. so I got to spend some quality time riding home from Scottsdale with Dave. It meant a lot to me that my husband, who isn't that BIG of an animal lover would take the time out of his busy schedule to take me that far to purchase rabbits. Hopefully this won't be our last road trip, I just don't think it will be picking up animals next time.

2 comments:

MaryBeth said...

Great story! Miss you guys.

Unknown said...

I loved that you spent the day with your man, you deserve to get out. Love this post