Monday, June 22, 2009

Another Father's Day Down

Rich with Dallas at his birthday.

This was an interesting Father's Day. We usually go to church and listen to all the cute stories about fathers and how wonderful they are, but this year it was different. We had a great meeting, but nothing about fathers. The Stake Presidency was there to release the old Bishopric and call a new one. I love the new men called and I think they will be great, but there is always the "bitter sweet thing" going on. It was nice to have Rich back sitting with me during the meeting but there is some grieving going on also. It has been five long years since we sat together in church and it just didn't seem right. I know he hates sitting on the back row, but that is where I feel best, most relaxed and safe. People make fun of me because I always have to be on the back row by the door, but I really don't care. They need to get over it because I don't give a da#* where they sit.

Dad holding Brookie at the luncheon after Kamber's funeral

After church we had a really nice dinner, we only had Mindi and Dave and their kids, no one else wanted to come and Spencer and Annie are still in Denver. At 6:30 the extended family came and we had a bunch of people. Our house is just not big enough anymore for the combined Greer families, and half of them didn't even come. It is nice to send the kids down to Mindi's so the adults can visit. I am so blessed to have my Dad still living. About five years ago he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. It is an aggressive cancer and the doctor gave him 18 months without treatment. I can't believe how well he is doing. He works in the Temple two nights a week and has a 5 acre corn patch and garden in the White Mountains. He plants a bunch of pumpkins for me and the kids for Halloween and brings home the corn stalks after the garden dries up. I can't believe how well he's doing at 80 years-old. I know there are lots of children that aren't lucky enough to have a father, and especially a father that is a faithful member of the church and honors his Priesthood. When I was growing up we didn't always see "eye to eye" but since we have both matured it has gotten lots better. I know he loves me and only wants the best for me.

I'm also lucky to have a husband who is a great father and strong member of the church with a huge testimony and heart to match. He honors his Priesthood also. He and my Dad grew up under similar circumstances and I think that is what attracted him to me. He is also a lot like my brother Lennie and that was a plus too. It seems like time is going by faster and faster, I guess that is a sign of old age. I hope we will be able to celebrate many more Father's Days with our husbands and fathers.

No comments: