Monday, May 11, 2009

Surviving Mother's Day


I survived another Mother's Day and lived to tell about it. It was a bitter-sweet day. I had conflicting emotions all day and by the night I was exhausted. In the early morning I couldn't stop thinking about Kamber and how sad I was she isn't here with us anymore, I was also feeling sorry for myself because Spencer's card he sent never got to me. Then as I sat in church listening to all the talks about how "wonderful" mothers are, I found myself back in that dark place I had come from in the morning. After Sacrament meeting my friend Paula came up to me and we shared our dislike for Mother's Day. She has had some hard challenges in her life. Her oldest son was killed in a motorcycle accident a few years ago and I can feel her pain. As we cried at the back of the church we concluded that at least we still had our Mothers on this special day. During Primary they had a fun activity where they brought four mothers in and let the kids ask questions to find out who they were. They wore brown paper sacks on their heads that were decorated with hair, eyes and lips. It was really fun. Then the kids sang four Primary songs about mothers, ending with "I am a Child of God." I could not stop crying. We have been told that when children sing it goes straight to our Heavenly Father as a testimony to him of their love.

After church we had Mom and Dad over for dinner and then the extended family came over for desert. It is always really loud when the Greer's get together. We laughed and "scratched" and it was after nine before everyone left. I am thankful for my Mother and hope to have many more days with her.

1 comment:

Larsens said...

we are so sorry that the card didnt get to you. i swear i put like a 100 stamps on it just to make sure it got to you! everyone else got their, but you... be lookin for it. we are very grateful for you as a mother and a grandma. cant wait to see you here soon.