Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mother's Day to Me!


I woke up early this morning, Rich was pouring cement in the backyard and I needed to get up early and do my chores before the sweltering heat hits. I have 1 cat, 3 dogs, 6 rabbits, 15 birds, 11 tortoises, 8 water turtles and a LOT of fish. As I walked out to feed my animals I realized that my pump on my big pond wasn't working. As I got closer I could see that some of my fish were floating on the top and all of them were trying to breath on the surface. I hurried and turned on my big pump to get the water going so hopefully I could save some of them. I scooped some of the dead fish out and walked over to Rich and said, "Happy Mother's Day to Me." He said, "Yeh look and all this concrete." No that's not really what I was talking about. Anyway I told him I needed one of his guys to dig me a hole so I could bury my fish. Mindi came out a little later and helped me move the plants and get the floating fish out. As I was walking back towards the house I thought of the last time I lost a bunch of my fish. It was a few days after Kamber passed away I left the hose in the pond all night and with all the chlorine in the water it killed about half of my big Koi. Rich is more philosophical about it because he says, "maybe this is a natural way to thin the herd. I never have thought of my fish as a herd, but I still have plenty of fish and there's always PETCO and PETSMART, my "home away from home." Hopefully the day gets better because if it doesn't I'm in trouble.

My fish that didn't make it through the night.

No comments: