Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day 2009



We have had a wonderful weekend. Spencer and Annie came in and brought a friend and teammate of his from the Denver Broncos, Peyton Hillis and his fiance Hannah. It seems like all we did all weekend was eat, swim and party. They left for the airport at 3:00 so I went and took a nap. It felt good to relax and reflect on the meaning of Memorial Day. As a family we have always celebrated this day by going with extended family to the Mesa Cemetary to decorate the graves of those who have passed away. That includes my dear Grandma Fern, my aunt Tenna and uncle Elmer Heap, my great-grandparents Earnest and Centenna Turley, my cousin B.J. Abney and many others. At times we have gone, (some of us with not such a great attitude) because my mother tells us 15 times during the week when and where we need to be. Yesterday as I was getting ready to start my trek I felt that maybe I wouldn't be able to do what was being asked of me. I was in my bedroom and I started to cry and I thought, "Will I be able to handle the pain of seeing the final resting place of that sweet angel girl Kamber?" We have been there before on her birthday and the day they put her headstone on so why was this different? Anyway, when I got there and saw that Ethan and Jenn had already been there and cleaned her grave off and put some darling flowers and pinwheels on, it was more than I could bear. It is a spiritual thing when you lose a grandchild. It's something you can never prepare for and something you sure as hell hope you never have to go through. But, as I was walking in the house just now, a thought came to me that all of us have been born and we are all going to someday end up in the cemetary. It's just a matter of time for all of us. I feel at peace. I know Kamber loves her family, her parents and sisters. I hope she loves her grandparents and all her cousins and aunts and uncles that think about her everyday. It won't be long until we will be able to see her again. That I know for sure.

1 comment:

The McNeil Family said...

YOur family is great.. I am sure all of those that have passed on are so grateful to your family for taking time to clean there graves. I know Kamber loves all of you guys.