Monday, May 18, 2009

I Love Being a Farmer

Tristyn holding my bunny "Carrot Top."

I just love living on two acres of land. We have been here for 13 years now and it has been a work in progress. It has taken most of our time and money for those years to get us where we are today. This morning we got irrigation or as Rich calls it (irritation). Last time we were up late and had no water so after a butt chewing by my darling husband, BOY did we get some water today. After about one and a half hours of our three we were flooded. After the flood subsided Mindi went out to feed our menagerie. I was holding my new baby rabbit. She is a Flemish Giant breed. I have always wanted one, so when I saw an add in the paper I called and went to Glendale to buy her. She will grow up to be almost 20 pounds and live over five years. As I was talking with Candi about my rabbit, Mindi came running in and said, "I need the camera, "Big Boy" is coming across the irrigation. So I went out and took some pictures of my animals. I don't know why I have an obsession with animals. I guess it started as a child when we had a toad that lived outside on our back porch. One day my Dad was digging in the planter and accidentally killed it. I remember him saying, "Teri why did you kill that toad." I know he was just kidding, but as a child I was really traumatized. I feel it is important to teach children to be kind to animals and never hurt them. I have been called a "bunny hugger" because I detest hunting and killing any animal. But I know that we need them for food but it can't be a personal animal for me to eat it. When I was young we would go to Eager and my Grandma Slade would kill a couple of rabbits and chickens for our dinner. I sometimes wonder how in the world I ate up there. Anyway, I know I'm sick, maybe I need a shrink.


Big Boy made the trek through the irrigation.

No comments: