Tuesday, July 15, 2014

$10 Gift

This summer seems to be more brutal than ever. I guess having surgery at the beginning started it off badly. We are now in the monsoon season when everyday we could possibly have a thunderstorm. We haven't had rain for so many months it was nice to get a little shower Sunday night. The problem is that after it rains, it's so humid you can hardly breath. Yesterday after running an errand Mindi and I were exiting the freeway heading home. Standing there at the corner was a man holding a sign. He looked dirty, had a hole in his pants and was carrying a ripped up McDonalds backpack. I took $10 out of my purse and had Mindi hand it to him out the window. He thanked us and said "God bless you." Most of the time it doesn't work out for me to hand money out, but this time I felt prompted to. I know there are people who think you shouldn't pass out money to panhandlers. After I gave him the money I didn't really care if he bought drugs, alcohol or maybe went to McDonalds for lunch. I started thinking what would get me to the point that I was desperate enough to stand out in the heat, by the freeway and beg for money? I was telling my Dad later on in the day what I did. I told him that I am so thankful that I have never felt my life was so hopeless that I didn't have a place to live. Then we joked about how we might all be going to Scottsdale to live with them if the country keeps going on the way it is. I am so thankful to have good parents who are still healthy enough to take care of themselves at 85 years old. I know it won't last forever but for now I'm grateful for them, but Dad did tell me he wouldn't have given the guy $10.

No comments: