Monday, March 17, 2014

New Blog, Ethiopia Trip for Rich

I've been trying to get time all weekend to write about my feelings, but sometimes I just have to be in the mood to put them down for posterity. Part of my Christmas present from Spencer and Annie was for them to pay to have someone design my blog. Annie's friend Becky is so talented and she was so kind to work on my blog. I wanted it to represent all that I love in life. Starting with my family, which is portrayed by the little girl holding a flower with a halo. Kamber represents my hope to be with my family when it's time for me to go to the other side. The golden retriever and rabbit represent the hours and hours of time and money I have spent over my life trying to make a difference in the world with my tender feeling for animals. Finally, the block square represents my love for sewing and making quilts for my family and friends. I'm not an expert, and my quilts aren't good enough to sell and make a profit, so I do it because I love those who I give them to and hope they will enjoy them and keep them warm. My life seems to be such a paradox. I can feel the opposite feelings about the same situation. Rich told me a couple of months ago about his desire to go to Ethiopia to do some service. Everyone knows of my fear of flying, so the thought of my husband being on a plane for twenty-seven hours has caused me some sleepless nights. The Malaysian Airlines plane missing has just made my anxiety worse. But I have learned after thirty-eight years of marriage that it really doesn't matter what I want or feel he will go ahead with his plans. So in four days he will be heading with a group of people to save the world, or a small part of it. I plan to sew, shop, rest and do anything and everything I want while he's gone. Then this summer while he's working in the 115 degree temps, I'll be sitting on the beach in California drinking a Pepsi and relaxing. I have learned in my almost sixty-one years that life is hard and complicated. I can't control anyone around me and I can't even control myself most of the time. I hope Rich makes it home safe and sound but I am going to make sure all his affairs are in order so if his plane disappears I will be prepared. He has faith he will make it back so that's all that matters now.

1 comment:

Monya said...

You silly lady--Rich will be fine--but will you? Do I need to come check on you? Bring you some Sees and a chick flick?