Wednesday, February 26, 2014

"It's Just An Animal Anyway, Right"

Last night was one of those rough nights where you dream and are awake most of the night solving the days problems. Yesterday afternoon our neighbor's horse became extremely sick and had to be put down by the vet. The front of our house faces their pasture and stable where the horses are kept. I watched as the vet worked on the horse and finally they covered him up with a green tarp, it was over. About an hour later a very sweet, kind lady pulled in and asked if she could use our driveway to back into their yard to pick this horse up to take him to Florence to be buried. I worried about her all night wondering what I could do or say that would ease her pain. I've had many animals that have had to be put to sleep because of old age or disease but horses are different. They are huge, majestic animals, but I have to admit really scary to me. Anyway, this morning I had the opportunity to visit with her and tell her how sorry I was for her loss. She said that after having a good cry and going to bed early she was doing better today, "it's just an animal anyway right?" No one loves animals more than I do and my heart aches when I see the suffering of God's creatures. As she got ready to leave she was holding her two-year old grandson, Leo. She said, "I don't know how you did it losing a grandchild." I looked at her little grandson and said, "can you imagine if something happened to him?" She shook her head and said, "No, I wouldn't be able to go on." I then had the opportunity to tell her my experience of loss, what happened that day. How I felt the spirit tell me that Kamber was gone and that I heard someone tell me, "why not you?" when I was asking why this was happening to me. It's been almost six years and I can still feel the emotion of that dreadful day. But my testimony is strong and I have faith that Kamber is in heaven doing what she was meant to do and will be there the day I leave this earth. That's all I have and hopefully I can sleep tonight.

No comments: