Friday, November 9, 2012

"Unrighteous Dominion"

Last night we had a wonderful time at Tristyn's volleyball banquet for Highland High School. This banquet has been on the books for a couple of months so the city let them go ahead and have it, if Marlene did it for free. As I was sitting there with her and the guests arrived a father and mother of one of the girls strolled in. Marlene recognized him as one of those in Carriage Parc who have made her life a living hell for the last few months, writing letters to the Mayor and being an ass about her wedding venue. We contemplated asking them to leave but thought it would be best to take the "high road" on this one, not wanting to make the daughter embarrassed. Who does that? Who signs petitions, spreads lies, writes letters apposing you and then has the gall to show up at an event? The man in Val Vista Lakes who appealed the commission's decision in her favor is a member of the church and been in the Bishopric. Marlene has had him over showed him what she's doing, turned the music up as loud as she could and he was a total ass to her. As I was telling my Dad my frustration with members of the church who claim to be Christian and follow the teachings of the Savior and then treat someone the way my friend has been treated, he gave me a little lecture. He told me to read D&C 121:39 Where it says, "We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion." In verse 37 it also says, "When we undertake to cover our sins, or to gratify our pride, our vain ambition, or to exercise control or dominion or compulsion upon the souls of the children of men, in any degree of unrighteousness, behold, the heavens withdraw themselves; the Spirit of the Lord is grieved; and when it is withdrawn. Amen to the priesthood or the authority of that man." This is my favorite scripture now. I hope this fight for Marlene will be over soon. She looks so tired and discouraged, I wish I could take her pain away. I do know at some time we will all stand before the judgement bar and get to try and justify our bad behavior, I'm including myself in this as the need to forgive and not judge are taking me down fast.

1 comment:

Coplen's said...

I feel so sorry for this lady Teri. I wish there was something I could do to help her. It is very unfortunate when people spread lies about someone else to get gain for themselves. I can't imagine doing that to someone when I knew I was lieing. It is one thing to fight for something that it right and truthful but when you know deep down you are spreading lies, that is wrong on all levels. Then to show up at her establisment for something else is like a slap in the face. She is way nicer than I am because I would have asked him to leave the minute he entered. God Bless Marlene and I will pray for her and a fast resolution in her favor. Take care. P.S. She is lucky to have such a good loyal honest friend like you.