Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012




I fell asleep last night at 8:00 p.m. I guess the stress from the last two weeks finally caught up with me. We had around thirty people over for dinner yesterday which is about half as many as we usually have. With Len and Julie on a mission, my brother Ben divorced, and some of the grand kids living around the country, it was just a few of us who got together. I have to admit the smaller crowd is easier and a lot quieter. On Wed. Mindi and I ran a bunch of errands finding tablecloths and the rest of the things we needed for dinner. When we got home I was working in my kitchen and decided to put some water and sugar on the stove to cook to fill my hummingbird feeder. I got distracted by something and went in my room to rest for a minute. I must have dozed off for a few minutes when I smelled something like smoke in my house. I jumped up and then remembered that I was cooking on the stove. How stupid am I, leaving the kitchen with something on the stove?? Anyway, I was lucky Rich had some of his guys here working and Dave was here too, so we started opening up windows and got the fans blowing the smoke out of the house. I had to take pictures of what sugar and water look like after cooking for about an hour on the stove. The rest of the day I kept thinking about how lucky I was to not have burned my house down. I guess I need to buy a timer for the kitchen so that doesn't happen again. It's taken me two hours to clean up the mess from yesterday but I'm glad that my family feels welcome to come. It was my parents 62 year wedding anniversary too, so we celebrated that milestone with them. I sure wish Dad felt better, he doesn't look good and his appetite isn't what is used to be, but we are thankful for everyday we have with him. I'm putting up all my Thanksgiving decorations and trying to motivate myself to get all the Christmas stuff out, I need a nap before I do that and hopefully with nothing cooking on the stove.

No comments: