Monday, November 19, 2012

Forgive to be Forgiven

 Mom and I 60 Years Ago

Me, Mom and Marlene at the Bronco's Game

Over these last couple of months as I have been stressed over the situation with my friend and the politics of our country I have learned a lot about myself. My love of country, family and friends are so very important to me. Choosing to stay home and raise my children was hard as I saw other women enter the work force and have careers where they were given praise and a paycheck. I don't remember very many times that my husband and children thanked me for doing their laundry and keeping the house clean, that was just my job. I often wonder what would have happened if I would have tried to balance working and my family, it would have been impossible for me. Yesterday was my Mom's 83rd birthday. Every morning when I call her she answers with a happy voice and says, "Good Morning." I then say something like, "why are you so happy today?" Where she then says, "I made it through another night." I wonder why her happy, positive attitude didn't rub off on me as I'm more like my Dad by not being a morning person. I am going to try really hard to put all the hard feelings I've harbored over these last few weeks to rest. Yesterday as I was ranting about all those who I feel treated my friend wrong and how some I feel are only Christians on Sunday, when all of a sudden Rich said, "come on Dewey, let it go." Am I going to hear this for the rest of my life? As I have been reading my little book by the same name there is a part about when people asked him how he could forgive the person who killed his wife and children. He talks a lot about the Savior's teachings on forgiveness and that if we don't forgive, we will not be forgiven. Then he said, "Although there is power in forgiveness, it does not relieve us of consequences." So I need to really work hard on having a forgiving spirit, because I have so many things to be forgiven of, starting with those closest to me.

No comments: