Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day 2012

My Dad has been on chemotherapy for a month now. I have been encouraged at how well he has tolerated it and it seemed to help with the pain in his bones. Over the weekend though he started feeling really bad, in a constant state of nausea. I haven't had chemo, but I have been pregnant five times and have some experience with not being able to eat anything and praying to die. I hope he isn't that bad and hopefully when he sees the doctor on Thursday they can help him. During this election time my thoughts have been on my childhood a lot. My parents didn't agree on which party was right and during these times it was a constant state of contention in our family. My Dad was from the White Mountains where his family were Democrat and my Mom from Mesa, who were conservative Mormons. I remember as a young child not understanding the importance of this sacred right we have to vote. My parents basically cancelled out each others votes for decades. Then my Dad became a Bishop and took that responsibility very serious. He told me recently that when the Democrats became so liberal and condoned partial birth abortions and same sex marriage he had to change parties. As he reaches the end of his life, his legacy will live on in us kids, good and bad. As I was talking to him lately he told me that he feels like at some point we will be held accountable for who we voted for, if they weren't in accordance with the teachings of the Savior. I am so thankful for parents who taught me the gospel and the importance of voting for those candidates who have my same ideology. I have no idea what is going to happen but whatever does, we will deserve what we get because we have been warned.

No comments: