Saturday, October 6, 2012

"What Would The Savior Do?"

I woke up early this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. Rich wasn't there to talk to, he's still in Utah visiting with his family, so I was alone with just my thoughts. I have tried really hard while helping a dear friend fight a battle that would stop her from pursuing her dream, to not take the actions of others personal. When Mindi and I sent out an e-mail asking for help we were hurt that only two people responded with a "sure what can we do?" We had one send a response of "no we won't help and we are going to do everything we can even lie, to make her go away." After she won the hearing on Wed. Rich came home and told me he couldn't believe how "venomous, hateful and intolerant" the people were to my friend in the meeting. I have felt all the emotions one can have when dealing with something like this. We got copies of the petitions that went around in the neighborhood fighting her and they had 150 signatures of which around twenty of them were members of my ward. As my thoughts went wild this morning I finally felt some peace, this is why we live in America. We not only have freedom of religion, freedom of speech and many more freedoms, but we have also been given our "free agency" by our Heavenly Father to do anything we want. At some point I believe we will have to answer for some of our actions. I was so happy and relieved when the commissioners passed the permit for my friend until I was told the "hateful, venomous neighbors" have decided to appeal the decision. So for now the fight moves on and will probably get bigger and nastier but hopefully truth will prevail. I will now spend the next two days listening to Conference. I'm sure I will be told to be kind, be a good neighbor, be tolerant of others beliefs and many others, but the one I'm sure will be told that will be the most important to me, is how we must forgive if we want to be forgiven. I remember when I have been going through hard times before my Mom always saying, "Teri, do what you think the Savior would do." If only it was that easy.

1 comment:

kittrean tanner said...

Whoa Teri ... this is pretty strong. :/