Thursday, October 25, 2012

"If The Savior Stood Beside Me"

I had the hardest time getting to sleep last night. Tristyn had her last volleyball game against a good team from Mesa High. We lost the first two games and then came back and won the last three, something I never thought would happen. She is the youngest player on the varsity at only fourteen years old, but proved to be so tough with her ability and leadership. We were so proud of her. As I tried to wind down I opened up my e-mails and found one from someone in my ward. Part of it said, "I want you to know that we signed the petition without enough information (you know they were using alarming statements like ...alcohol, traffic, loud music." Then she goes on to say that she will support my friend and to take her name off the petition. I was so touched I almost started crying in bed. I wish Rich would have still been awake so we could have talked about this change of heart. So at 1:00 a.m. I was still awake trying to figure a way to open the eyes of all those who are making my friend's life a "living hell" right now. As I was out feeding my animals my thoughts went back to when Mindi and I taught the 10-11 year old girls in Primary. The highlight of my week was when LeAnn would teach those little children the new songs for the program. One that stands out in my mind is, "If the Savior Stood Beside Me." Some of the words are: "If the Savior stood beside me, would I do the things I do? Would I think of His commandments and try harder to be true? Would I follow His example? Would I live more righteously if I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me? If the Savior stood beside me, would I say the things I say? Would my words be true and kind if He were never far away? Would I try to share the gospel? Would I speak more rev'rently if I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me." I remember feeling the spirit as those little children sang those words. I found a quote by President Gordon B. Hinkley from his talk "The Need For Greater Kindness in April 2006 where he says,"Why do any of us have to be so mean and unkind to others? Why can't all of us reach out in friendship to everyone about us?" Maybe all of us adults need to go back to Primary and learn what they are teaching our children and grandchildren, the world would then be a better place to live.

No comments: