Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Going Home



Last week while Rich and I were on our little trip I got the call that my Dad, who has had prostate cancer for ten years was having some tests run. On Thursday he had a bone scan to see if the cancer has spread to his bones. On Friday evening I got the call that the news wasn't good, the scan showed cancer in his shoulder, clavicle, femur, ribs and a few other places. My Dad's attitude was, "let's just let nature take it's course," but our family won't let him give up yet. I called my kids to let them know the news and so Spencer decided to change his plans and fly in late last night to see Dad before leaving for Denver tonight for some treatments to get ready for his season. We went out to lunch and then my sister and I went with my parents to the radiation oncologist. Next week he will start  having a series of ten radiation treatments that will help with the pain he has been having, after that we will see another doctor and try something else. As  my sister and I reflected on the day, it is one of those things that you know you will have to go through, but when it's happening it doesn't seem real. My brother Lennie is on a mission in Washington and we need his help if things get really bad. In fifteen days it will be four years since our sweet Kamber went home, I don't know how long it will be before my Dad will join her, I pray he will be able to rally around this and do all he can to fight, but I know we will all go home someday. I read something once that said we won't be on this earth one day longer than is appointed by our Heavenly Father, so when that time comes, we will all go home where we came from.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Teri I am so sorry to hear your news, it is such a blessing for your father to have such a great family and to understand the plan Heavenly Father has for us. Where is he going for his radiation treatments?
Something I will share with you that I have not shared with too many people is this....I am the happiest I have ever been in my life right now, I told my family not to be sad for me ever, because I KNOW when Heavenly Father is ready for us to come home, nothing will keep that from happening HE is our beginning and our end, and what a beautiful way to start and end our life, leaving his arms and then being embraced by him when the time comes. Knowing this helped me get life in order and not be afraid of death. My prayers are with your family as always, xoxo monya