Tuesday, June 19, 2012

"Keep the Commandaments, Repent, Repent, Repent"

I just got home from the funeral of a family friend who passed away last week due to complications of Parkinson's. My sister came and picked me up and as we were getting closer to the church I could feel those old "out of control" feelings coming on. Just the anxiety of waiting for the casket followed by the family to come in, made me want to go running out, but I tried some deep breathing, sucking on mints and just trying to stay in control of my thoughts. Each one of his children got up and gave some stories about their dad. He was such a kind, gentle person who loved his wife and family so much. One of the stories told said that he had such a cute sense of humor and would joke all the time. In a letter to the kids he said, "keep the commandments, repent, repent, repent, study your scriptures and make sure you cut your toenails straight across." On the way home my sister commented that it is too bad you have to wait until a person dies before you really get to know them at their funeral. The Stake President was the last speaker and he shared a few stories and scriptures. He shared his favorite scripture which is Mosiah 3:19 "For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father." I am sure that Floyd Leavitt is united with his parents, son and other family members who have "endured to the end". I am a better person to have known such a valiant servant who lived his life as a great example of what the Lord expects us to become.

No comments: