Monday, June 18, 2012

"Being a Peacemaker"

 Grandpa Greer and Trulie
t
 Grandpa Greer Trulie and Tristyn

 Max on the table
 Ethan and Reagan
 Mindi's cookies
 Dad's lemon cake

Rich and Trulie
I made it through another Father's Day celebration. As I went to bed last night I was so pooped I didn't know if I would be able to sleep, but I did okay. Mindi and I taught Primary yesterday so the teachers could go to Priesthood. We did Troy's little class of five year-olds and they were so cute and loved doing the activities. The lesson was on "being a peacemaker", they didn't really get it but it was still fun to teach them. We had our kids and grand kids and my parents over for dinner and then the extended family came later for dessert. I think there was around 40 people and boy did it get noisy. It's so nice to have Mindi's house close so the kids went to play down there and outside on the trampoline. While we were waiting for everyone to get there I got some pictures of my Dad with Trulie and all the desserts. Mindi made some really cute cookies that looked like tools, she is so creative. I made my Dad's favorite lemon cake, two times a year on his birthday and Father's Day, it's a tradition. I made a cherry cheesecake for Rich, I know he's trying to diet, but heck it was worth it.  I hope my sons and sons-in law know how important they are to their children. My Dad and I butted heads most of my life until I got married. He was always so critical of me and we didn't share the same views on many things. He always said I reminded him of how he was as a teenager and just wanted to protect me, but our relationship was strained most of my growing up years. Last week he made the comment on how he regrets the way he treated me and if he could go back he would try and do better, then maybe we could have been really good friends. I think we do the best we can at the time, and with his horrible childhood I'm proud of the good man he is today. I pray for my kids and grand kids because I know at times I wasn't a very good example to them, I wasn't a very good peacemaker, something I still struggle with.

No comments: