Monday, March 5, 2012

"To Be Free of Heavy Burden"

Max and Brookie
Ethan, Rich and Max

Me and Candi
Candi with Dally, Major, Brookie and Kylie
Jenn and Reagan
Yesterday was a sweet day for me. We started out with family pictures and then church. Ethan did a great job giving little Reagan a name and a blessing. I was so proud of him. It was also Spencer's birthday so we celebrated during a luncheon after church. It seems like forever since we have had all our family together. It will probably be a long time, and maybe never when we will be able to get another picture. Spencer will be going home to Colorado as he waits to see what team he will be playing for next year. He and Annie left for Hawaii this morning, I hope they get back safe, I would never fly over shark infested waters unless I was unconscious. My parents, sister and brother -in-law came to support and it is always fun having them with us. Yesterday was Fast Sunday so during church there were testimonies born. The member of the Bishopric did such a nice job telling about losing his son and how he didn't handle it right. There has been a lot of talk lately in meetings how we need to turn all of our burdens over to the Lord. It seems like I have been struggling with heavy burdens for a long time now. I don't really understand how to just give them up, so I decided to do a little research. I found a good article by Elder Richard G. Scott called "To Be Free of Heavy Burden" given during General Conference in 2002. In it he quotes scriptures "I will...ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that ...you cannot feel them..., and this will I do... that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions." He then goes on to talk about repenting of serious sins and trying to forgive those who offend us. I still don't know if I quite understand how to turn my burdens over to the Lord, but it sounds wonderful. I know there are many who are going through really hard times. I have a cousin who at 29 is fighting breast cancer, she is so sick from the chemo and her family is worried sick for her. Everyone has a trial, some of us have two or three we are struggling with. At the end of the article Elder Scott says, "When possible, lay the burden at the feet of the Savior." Now if I can just learn how to do that life will be better.

No comments: