Thursday, January 27, 2011

"There's No Place Like Home"

Snow as we pulled out of Denver

Three tired boys loaded up to come home.

Wow! We finally made it home last night around 7:30 p.m. We left Denver and it had snowed all night, just a light dusting but Spencer decided we were going to get up at 4:00 a.m. and hit the highway. We got up early but by the time we got everything loaded and the kids out of their beds and loaded into the car it was 5:15 a.m. It was cold and dark but the snow was pretty, so I took a picture as we drove away from their house. It was so fun to get away and visit some really fun places but "there's no place like home." As we were pulling into the valley and I saw all the lights in the far off distance, I realized I was home. We came down through Winslow, Pine and then Payson with all the snow and the pine tress it was beautiful, but when we got to the desert and the warm air I asked Spencer if he felt like he was coming home. His answer made me sad as he said, "No, this just feels like a vacation, my home is in Colorado." I think they like to be alone as a little family in their own home away from all of us wanting to spend time with them and pulling them from place to place. They do a lot of fun things with their kids during the off season, something Rich and I never had after he started his own business twenty-six years ago. This morning we got up and Spencer, Annie, Mindi and I did some exercising. He is trying to help me build up the muscles surrounding my hip to make it possible for me to walk without a cane. He told me he wanted me to go all week without using my cane. I told him I would if he would shave his ugly facial hair off. So when he shaves, I will try and walk without my cane. Last night I was so tired after sleeping with a four-year old who coughed all night I've come down with a cold and lost my voice. It felt weird to be in my house. I looked around to see my surroundings and it was almost like I had been away for a really long time. What a difference a week makes in the way you view your life. I guess we all need a little change of scenery to make us realize just how many blessings we have. I don't think I will ever drive the fourteen hours to Denver again, and I know there will be a time when Spencer's kids will be in school and they won't be coming as often. I'm sad about that but understand he has a different life now with a wife, three kids and a job far away from us. One thing I did realize is that where ever I go I take myself, the good the bad and the ugly. It's only a change of scenery. I'm glad to be home in my bed with my husband instead of my four year-old little grandson, but I have lots of fun memories that I will never forget!

No comments: