Saturday, November 20, 2010

I CAN DO HARD THINGS

The weeks a going by faster and faster for me. That's probably a good thing considering that I want my recovery to speed up. Anyway, yesterday we were busy working around the house and Mindi was trying to put the finishing touches on the gift we are making for my
parents. Everyone is coming over tomorrow night for cake and ice cream to celebrate Mom's 81st birthday and my parents 60th wedding anniversary on Monday. It just blows my mind that they are that old and have endured life's struggles and stayed married for 60 years. I am so blessed to still have both parents living and still married to each other. Yesterday Mindi was going to run a few errands and go to the grocery store on the way home. I haven't been in a grocery store for at least three months. I asked her if she could pick me up some groceries while she was there and started making a list. She finally just looked at me and said, "I don't know if I will be able to go and push two carts around, why don't you just come and go with me?" So last night I "girded up my loins, fresh courage take," and headed to the store. I put my cane in the cart and then used it as a walker. I was surprised at how well I did. There were a few times that I got a little tired or nervous but we just kept plugging along going up and down each isle. When we got to the produce section I saw a guy who had crutches in one of those electric carts that the store has with a basket in the front. Then as we turned up the cereal isle I saw a lady that was so big and pregnant I am sure she is having either twins or triplets. She was a smaller build and I could not believe she could even walk. I turned to Mindi and said, "I am proving that I can do hard things aren't I?" Every time I go out in public I see someone who has it worse than I do and that brings me back to the reality that LIFE IS HARD. We are asked to go through trials that we never thought we would be asked to or be able to endure. My goal is to be able to walk without a limp and be able to do the things I need to keep my house going, but maybe patience is what I really need to learn at this time. I am grateful for all the trials I have gone through, hopefully it will make me a better person.

No comments: