Monday, November 15, 2010

The Flu and the Touchdown

I was so excited for the weekend because we were going to have some really great opportunities to attend some historical events. On Sat. they had the groundbreaking ceremony for the new Gilbert Temple. Rich had lots of responsibilities being on the high council like moving 250 chairs over to the site. He then had a training meeting in the afternoon, another meeting after that and then was asked to run the camera to record the evening session of Stake Conference. I knew I wouldn't be able to go out to the site because there was suppose to be over 10,000 people and it would be impossible for me to walk the long distance plus, sit in a metal chair. I was hoping to go to the Stake Center to watch it but everyone I asked was busy and not going. Mindi had decided to make her delicious caramel apples and me my caramel popcorn to sell at the Fall Festival at the school. We spent all day Friday and Sat. morning getting all the food cooked and bagged. When I woke up Sat. morning I had a really bad pain in the side of my back. I could hardly walk. I spent most of the afternoon in bed on a heating pad hoping it would go away. When I woke up on Sunday morning at 5:30 I felt pretty good except for a stiff neck. I got in the shower to get ready for Conference but when I got out of the shower I started chilling and was freezing. I tried to eat breakfast but felt like I was going to throw up. So I put some clothes on and got under a quilt. I ran a fever all morning so just stayed in bed. I had invited my parents and brother over to watch Spencer's game and Rich's niece had also called to ask if she could come over to spend the afternoon with us. Here I was in bed with dishes in the sink and not being able to help Mindi fix dinner. (There is NO WAY she would ever let me in the kitchen if I even had a sniffle.) Anyway, to make a long story short, I didn't get to go to anything this weekend. I have found that during my life whenever there is something really special going on, I end up getting sick. When I graduated from high school I had the flu so bad I felt like I was going to pass out walking up to get my diploma. Anyway, I am thankful to be better today. My back is still hurting but it's getting better. I have so much to get done before Thanksgiving next week plus it's my Mom's 81st birthday on Thurs. and we are busy making a special gift for her. One thing that did go well this weekend was that the Broncos WON and Spencer made his first NFL touchdown. I'm so excited for him, with all the hard work he has done in the last three years he sure deserved a chance to score for the team. It is so exciting for their little family to find success in Denver. We are so proud of him and all our kids who do amazing things all the time. We are extremely blessed and know that we don't deserve all the tender mercies that are showered down on us, but we're no complaining either.

1 comment:

mrs. dph said...

We were cheering for him here in Kansas! We are NOT Chiefs fans. It was so cool to see him do so well! PS I hope your flu goes away real quick. :)