Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"Arms That Hang Down


Wow! Time goes by so fast when you're not lying in bed watching the clock go around. I have been busy working on two quilts and making pomegranate jelly. Jenn came over this morning and I taught her how to turn the juice into jelly. She is a really good cook so I knew she would do well. We made three batches and on the third one I just sat and held Max while she did it all by herself. She even did all the dishes and cleaned up the mess. My Mom came over on Monday and helped me make some of mine. For the last few years she always makes the same comment, "I'm so happy you have learned how to do this because you never know when I'll be called home." I finally told her that if she hadn't received inspiration that she would be passing on soon to just not say anything like that to me. I don't want to think about the day my parents leave me to join Kamber and my other loved ones on the other side. I have a dear cousin who called me today to see how I was doing. We are really close, after her Father was killed in an airplane accident her family came to live with us. She has such a fun personality and we laugh all the time we are together. After she asked me how my hip was I said, "it is so fun, I think everyone should have a hip replacement." After we went back and forth a few times about just how fun it is to get old and start to wear out body parts. I said, "you know Rich always says "some days are diamonds and some are stones." She then said, "Yea some days you are the bug and some days the windshield." I hadn't ever heard that before, but I thought it was really funny. Life is so interesting when you are going through challenges. I have been so discouraged at how slow my progress is on getting the muscles in my hip strong enough for me to be able to walk. When I go to physical therapy I first go into the gym and do exercises to stretch and strengthen me. There are others there working on their own equipment and doing their own little workout. Last week as I was walking through the parallel bars trying to put more weight on my bad hip a lady came in the gym in a wheelchair. When I looked down she didn't have any legs below her knees. I decided then that no matter what I am going through I can always find someone who is in worse shape than me. I said a little prayer thanking Heavenly Father that he didn't ask me to go through life without any legs. We are asked to do some really hard and scary things while in this mortal life. I guess that is what life is all about, sometimes we help "those with arms who hang down," and other times we are the ones whose arms are hanging down. Hopefully my arms will not be hanging down for too much longer.

No comments: