Thursday, August 12, 2010

I Had The Blues

Life has been crazy trying to get the kids back in school. Plus, I have to admit I've been in a dark place and when I'm there, I don't like to put anything down that will come back to haunt me later on. I also don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but the clouds have parted a little bit and the sun is shining again. We have the 110 degrees to prove it. Will summer ever end down here?
Mindi and I have been running all the errands we have needed to these last two days that the kids have been back in school. As we drove down Higley by the freeway there was a guy sitting on a chair with a sign advertising a Mexican Restaurant down the street. He had a hat on but it said it was 111 degrees in the car. Mindi made the comment how she wondered why he didn't bring an umbrella to sit under to protect him from the sun. I then had such a deep sense of guilt. How desperate would I have to get to sit out on the pavement holding a sign in the oppressive heat? My husband, son, son-in-law and even Spencer in Denver have to go out every day and endure the weather conditions. I commend them for that, and appreciate all they do to support their families. My darling Ethan was threatening to take my grandchildren out of state because he HATES THE HEAT! I hear you, but Madeline and I will do some major kick butt if you try and take our grandchildren away from us. Jenn has promised me that she will do all she can to stay close. I love her for that.
I have been pretty much home bound all summer because of my pain. I did get brave this week and went to the grocery store. Mindi has been picking up stuff here and there but I needed to go. I took my crutches and it was good to just get out of the house and in the public. It almost felt weird. Anyway, we were over at the end of the store and I glanced over and saw a guy in a little motorized cart, (my sister thinks I need to use those in the store) but I have too much pride. As I watched him talk to the girl in the deli he was so happy. I glanced down and he had a sandal on one foot and then a tennis shoe on the other. As I looked closer he only had one leg and a prosthetic leg. I want to be like him and no matter what happens I want to have a good attitude. It reminded me of a little poem:

I had the blues
Because I had no shoes
Until upon the street
I met a man who had no feet

Life is so precious and I don't want to take one day for granted.

No comments: