Saturday, August 8, 2009

In A Funk

I have wanted to blog for the last few days but I've been in such a funk I felt it better I didn't spew my venom on everyone. I hate getting in these moods where you feel sad, discouraged, depressed and just plain "worn out" physically, mentally and emotionally. This week has been busy with three birthdays a lake trip and two baby showers. I missed a bridal shower last Saturday because I didn't get her gift finished and Mindi went out of town. Anyway, I just got off the phone with my parents, my Mom calls me everyday, sometimes three or four times a day. She always asks, "What's going on over there?" My answer is always the same, "nothing." She knows the drill, feeding animals in the morning, doing laundry, making beds, washing dishes, the same thing I've been doing for thirty-three years now. My Dad got on the phone when he could tell my Mom was trying to cheer me up and asked what my problem was. As I told him how discouraged I was he told me of a story about when his stepfather died. His cousin came over bringing apples for him. When my grandmother told him he had passed away, the cousin said, "Oh heck, I guess I will just go home and pout." We had a good laugh and then I said, "well maybe I will just go in my room and pout. I think having a "sunny disposition" is a spiritual gift. I want to be one of them but that's not my personality. I know people who have had terrible trials in their life who always have a smile on their face and a kind word. I admire them. My maternal grandmother Fern Turley was one of those people. I never saw her down. She had to work her whole life to provide for her family because her husband was sick. She never complained and I was never with her that she wasn't telling me how wonderful I was and how I could do anything I put my mind to. My mom is like that too. She reminded me of a saying my grandmother always said when someone was discouraged, "Get Up and Dust." So on we go through another day of household chores and running errands. As I look around my house it does look pretty dusty, so maybe that will make me feel better.

No comments: