Sunday, August 2, 2009

Clash of the Titans


I remember when my kids were growing up there was a movie called "Clash of the Titans." I asked Mindi the other day if she remembered what it was about but she doesn't. Anyway, on Thurs. Mindi got a call from a guy that needed a home for another huge tortoise. We started our little hobby by buying 4 hatch lings five years ago, but our herd has grown to ten now. So on Friday morning we went on a trip to the Johnson Ranch area to pick up this dinosaur. It took us 45 minutes to get there and about that to get home. Tristyn and I decided on the way home we would call him "Big Miles" after the mascot for the Denver Broncos. Anyway, all was going well, we put him in the back yard and Mindi got ready and left to go to Moser Mountain. I took the opportunity to take a nap while it was quiet and then went out to feed the animals at about 6:00 p.m. When I got out things were going fine until my other big tortoise "Big Boy" got a glimpse of the other guy and the fight was on. They were going at it for about an hour and the new one was getting his butt kicked. I had to turn him over several times so I knew this wasn't a good idea to have them together. I think the bigger one would end up killing the new one. So here I am trying to break up a fight between two huge tortoises by myself. I was hoping Rich would come to my rescue and figure out a solution. I ran in the house and yelled at him to come help me. He came out and I showed him my problem. I know the last thing he wanted to do on a Friday night after a terrible week of work was to help me build an enclosure for a stupid tortoise. He was a good sport for about 5 minutes until I let the fencing hit him on the shin a few times and then he was pissed. Anyway, to make a long story short, we got a fence put up around the new guy and they have been fighting through the fence for the last two days. When Mindi gets home tonight maybe she and Dave can help me figure it out. I don't dare ask Rich to help because he already told me turtle soup sounded good to him.

No comments: