Tuesday, June 5, 2012

"Weak Things Become Strong"

I came home from church on Sunday irritated and agitated. I spend most of my life between those two emotions, so that wasn't anything new. It was nice to hear that so many had such a great experience on the Trek but I started thinking about all the spouses and kids that were left behind carrying on at home so the others could go. I couldn't put my finger on why I was so upset, I have a few clues but nothing that would warrant the reaction I was having. So yesterday Mindi had to take Tristyn to ASU for volleyball practice. Since we were so close, we went to my parents house and then over to eat dinner with my Uncle Carl who is visiting from California. He was a navigator of B-52 bombers who flew over Vietnam during that war. He is also my Mom's only living immediate family member.  As we were discussing some of our concerns and problems, my uncle finally said, "you know, at some point you need to just have hope that things will get better. If you can just hang in there, things will get better." As I sat there and listened to those three 80 plus year-olds talk about how hard it was during the depression and how my Grandmother, took care of three kids and a sick husband on her $110 a month salary as a librarian, I felt so sad. This morning when I was reading my scriptures in Ether 12:27 "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness, I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." I know it's going to take a long, long time to make this old gal's weakness become strength but I'm hoping to hang in there long enough for things to get better.

No comments: