Friday, October 10, 2014

"We Make Things So Complicated Now"

Every week I think will be a little bit easier but that never happens. Yesterday my sister and I went to Scottsdale to pick up my parents to go to lunch for her birthday today. She had to run a quick errand and when I got into the area where I grew up, I had such weird thoughts and feelings. I have been gone from there for almost forty years but sometimes I can still feel the feelings I felt as a child and teenager growing up there. It's hard to explain but it was real. We are so thankful that our parents can still live in their home and take care of each other and even drive themselves to places they need to go. I know how I feel at sixty-one, so I can only imagine how tired they are at eighty-five. Mindi has been driving herself crazy this week planning a baptism and birthday party tomorrow. As I talked to my Dad on the phone he said, "we sure make things complicated out of things that used so be so simple, but important. We did it and it was over, we never had a luncheon or party after being baptized and I can't ever remember even having a birthday party." It does seem like things have become way bigger than when even I was a kid. Tristyn had a volleyball game last night even though it was fall break. Jenn brought her kids to support her and it is was fun to see all the cousins playing together. They weren't that interested in the game and mainly just ate treats from the concession stand and played. Jenn looks great for expecting twins in six weeks. Hopefully she will be able to keep them in until they are healthy enough to breath on their own and not have to stay in the hospital. Today is Trent's birthday and he turned eleven. My grandkids are growing up way to fast and it's sad to think Tristyn will be leaving for college in two years. She's going to Homecoming next week so this coming week will be another stressful week. I'm ready for a vacation, a trip to the beach or somewhere I can get more than six hours of sleep. I hate that I'm turning into an old person, but I guess the other option is to die and I'm not quite ready for that yet, I hope.

No comments: