Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Family Reunion 2014






I spent two days last weekend at a family reunion up north in Eagar and feel like I've been trying to catch up all week. It was so nice to be where there was a cool breeze and temps between 59 and 77 degrees. The White Mountains are where I spent every summer visiting my grandparents and learning the country life. I learned how to fish with a bobber at the lakes and creeks, and was introduced to  caring for farm animals like chickens, rabbits, horses and cows. It's like going back in time for me when I visit the property and now that my parents are getting old, I realize that someday it will belong to me and my siblings. We got there Friday afternoon and spent the rest of the night cleaning up, getting ready for the party on Saturday and having a nice dinner. My nephew Jeremy, who was just made the Bishop a week ago, was such a big help. He mowed the lawns and did everything we asked him to do. He is really a good person, he even made a late night run to Dairy Queen for us. On Saturday we fixed breakfast and then Len and Julie came, they left early in the morning from Gilbert. I was hoping Rich would ride up with them but he is so busy with work and needs to go up in a couple of weeks to drain the water out of the cabin and get it ready for winter. So I had to forgive him for not coming, none of my family came. Mindi and Dave are busy with their kids with volleyball and football. Candi had to work both days, Ethan and Jenn are expecting twins and he's as busy as Rich is with work. And then Spencer is in Boston so I knew he would be a "no show" they did surprise me last year coming from Denver. My nephew Joshua and his wife Amy came with their five kids. They are super musical and played us some music on their string instruments. Amy is an accomplished violinist and has taught her kids how to play. I could tell my Dad really enjoyed that, he came from a musical family too. I could tell this trip was really hard on my parents. My Dad had a hard time sleeping and would work a few minutes and then come in to rest. It's hard to see your parents get old and slow down. They both are such good examples of faithful service and to have their family there with them was so special. It gets harder and harder as we get more and more people to find a time to have a reunion. Dad says he's done with the farming. When we pulled up the corn field looked like it was a failure. But the corn was delicious and was just enough for the few people who came. My Aunt Nadine and her son Mackey and his wife Kim came over and had lunch with us. I'm so sad we haven't kept in touch with them over the years. We left late in the afternoon and Len drove my parents home in their truck and I came with Julie. It was fun to visit with her I don't think I've ever spent four hours just talking to her. She is an amazing person and I admire her spirit and service. I'm glad I went, and it was good to get home in my own bed. Now if we could just get some cooler temperatures to move in it will be perfect. I'm ready for Fall!

1 comment:

Stephanie Abney said...

What a GREAT family reunion. It's hard when everyone can't make it, but as all our families grow ~ distance, time and money make getting together even more difficult.

Love that you went and had fun and had such a great talk on the way home with Julie.

You have a GREAT family, Teri! I LOVE all of you guys! So glad to have married Jim because of the amazing family that came with him! Cousins ROCK!!