Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Pep Talk From Mom

It's no secret that when Rich and I decided to get married he was hoping and thinking he was getting a carbon copy of my Mom. She is a wonderful person who is kind and loving and doesn't have a mean bone in her lean little body. What Rich got was a female version of my Dad, who is an honorable man, full of faith and love but just not as cultured or refined as Mom, and I might add he is a grudge holder like me. Anyway, this week has been extremely stressful running errands to buy supplies for our Relief Society activity on Friday night. I also had two fillings fixed in preparation for oral surgery next week to put an implant in the hole in my mouth. Anyway, I had an opportunity to try and help one of my children who is struggling in lots of areas of their life. As the conversation went on and tears started flowing, I found myself giving the same pep talk my Mom has given me for sixty-one years. When did I turn in to my Mom? I never thought she really knew what she was talking about because she was so old, things had changed in the world and she couldn't possibly know how to help me. It is so hard being a parent to adult children and watching them struggle. I wish I could take away all their problems and challenges. I wish they had the perfect lives with perfect children and no stress. But unfortunately I have learned by experience that only through these challenges do we grow. I hate adversity! Sometimes I get so sick of struggling with the same old things day in and day out that I just want to scream. Why does life just seem so hard sometimes with things we are asked to do? Hopefully things will quiet down and life will become peaceful and calm, but I'm not counting on that with the holidays coming and the twins. Oh yea, TWINS. It may be awhile before I will be able to sit in the rocking chair and relax, but I'm not giving up on that idea at some point in the future.

No comments: