Thursday, May 15, 2014

Countdown To Surgery

I've spent this week getting ready to have surgery next Monday. I went to the doctor on Tuesday for an EKG and found out my heart is normal. So those who think I have a "cold heart" are wrong. Then off we went for the blood work. I haven't heard anything about that, so I guess that's normal too. Then yesterday morning I went to get a chest X-ray. There again the technician mentioned, "at least you have a heart." I haven't heard yet if that was normal but I guess if it wasn't, I would get a call. I have felt at peace about having surgery, I guess because the same surgeon did this same surgery twenty-four years ago. Yesterday the hospital called to ask me some questions. Are you married? What's your religious affiliation? Do you have a living trust? By now I'm starting to get anxiety. Are you an organ donor? Do you have diabetes? As he was asking questions my insecurities kicked in. I know they have to ask all these questions, and every time you have surgery there is a risk. At some point the risk is worth taking in order to hopefully improve your life. The older I get the more I realize that every thing I do is a risk, a choice, and a challenge. It seems like everywhere around me there are people who are suffering. I just got a text that my sister is with her husband at the hospital because he almost cut off one of his fingers. What! I don't know what he was doing that would cause him to take a whack out of his finger but I will find out soon. All I know is that I'm laying low until Monday when I will be having my own little crisis and hopefully I can get another few years out of this poor arthritic knee. Otherwise I may just be staying home from the beach which would be sad, but not the end of the world.

No comments: