Wednesday, May 21, 2014

50/50 Chance of Success from Surgery

I spent most of Monday afternoon in La La Land. When I got home from surgery my Mom made me some soup and my sister poured me some Ginger ale for my nausea and I was "out of it." I spent yesterday trying to get my bearings and keep my leg elevated and iced. At 11:15 last night Mindi texted me from her house asking if I ever made it out to feed the animals. I don't know what planet she's on but I guess she hadn't noticed I never left the house and only came out of my bedroom a couple of times during the day. I know she is stressed out with her five kids and the end of school but she sure spaced it out that the animals needed to be fed. So this morning when I woke up at 5:00 a.m. I was worried about how hungry the critters were, so I recruited Trent to go help me get them fed. I threw in a load of laundry, started my dishwasher, ate breakfast and back to the bed I went. I hope if I ever get sick enough to be bedridden the good Lord will just take me home. It's no fun to spend hour after hour alone in a darkened room staring at the t.v.. The surgeon found a lot wrong in my knee. Torn meniscus, no ACL, my kneecap is messed up and I'm sure there is more I didn't understand. When I got home my family told me the doctor had said he only thinks I have a 50/50 chance that what he did would solve my problem. Darn It! I've been a little discouraged because the next step if this doesn't help is a knee replacement, something I don't want to endure, but will probably someday be in my future. All that competitive sporting events in my life have taken a toll on my joints. I have struggled with hip and knee injuries for a long, long time and now that I'm heading into my sixties the future looks a little bleak. Tomorrow I will be able to take the bandages off and take a shower. I've been putting a garbage bag over my leg because there is no way I'm waiting three days for a shower. Tomorrow is my birthday so I will be glad to get all the bandages off and have a nice hot shower. It's pretty sad when all you want for your birthday is a hot shower and to be able to walk without crutches. Hopefully next year will be better, but the way my life's going, who knows what I'll be doing next year as I'm approaching 62.

No comments: