Friday, April 19, 2013

Almost Normal

Yesterday was a busy day with appointments and errands to run. I started out at the lab for some fasting blood work, then on to the doctor for a weigh-in and B-12 shot. We are still trying to battle this weight war and sometimes it seems like a lost cause. We all did well by losing a few pounds and that's always good news. Then this morning I just got a call from the doctors office wanting me to make an appointment to go over the blood work. I've always heard that if they call you right back the next day it isn't good news. I told the guy that I was just in there yesterday and if they could tell me over the phone it would be easier and better for me. All of a sudden I had such a feeling of doom. What is wrong with me, do I have cancer or something else terrible? I said a silent prayer and went on with my work folding clothes. Then I had a thought come in to my mind, "don't worry, everything will be alright." A few minutes later the phone rang again and it was the doctor. She said, "I just wanted to give you a call so you wouldn't worry all weekend about your blood work." Then she went on to tell me about all the different tests they ran and they were all normal, except for the thyroid part. I have been battling thyroid disease since I was nineteen years old when I had to have radiation to kill it so I wouldn't die. Anyway, at sixty they still can't figure it out and that is probably the cause of my extreme tiredness and inability to lose weight. Anyway, I am thankful for good doctors and for my strong body that is able to do many things. I know there are lots of people struggling everyday with health problems that are painful and debilitating. I'm thankful to be able to recognize the spirit and the comfort that gives me. Now if I could just have the will power to give up some of my favorite treats maybe the weight loss would be better, but that wouldn't be any fun.

No comments: