Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Happy Birthday to Dad



I woke up this morning at 4 a.m. with a bad headache. What the bleep is wrong with me? I've had a cold, the stomach flu and now fighting a headache. I have so much to do before the baby shower next weekend and I'm tired of not feeling well. The weather is crazy with record low temps one week, then record highs the next, then four straight days of rain. Where is that beautiful Arizona weather? Yesterday was my Dad's 84th birthday. In years passed we have always had all the kids, grand kids, cousins and everyone come over for cake and ice cream to celebrate. With Dad not feeling well and going through chemotherapy treatments, we decided that just us adults would go see him. So last night my sister, Mell and I picked up some burgers and tostadas and went to my parents humble little house in Scottsdale. Rich and Ben met us there. It's hard to see Dad with his hair now white and thinning, he thinks it's fuzzy. He ate just a few bites of his delicious dinner and then went in to his favorite chair where he spends most of his time. My Dad has always been active playing golf, working in the yard and carving wood into the shapes of birds or Nativity pieces. Now all he does is read, sleep and watch the television. This morning as I woke up my mind went to how my life is changing. Our family is changing. We know we won't be around here forever but the transition is hard. We all have experiences in our lives that change who we are. I know I had a huge shift when I suffered a miscarriage twenty-seven years ago and then another one when Kamber passed away. Now I'm closing in on 60 and that is going to be another big shift. As we were leaving Mom and Dad's Mell said, "Happy Birthday Dad, let's do this again next year, and we will invite Lennie then." So that's my prayer today, that we will have a few more years with my Dad.

No comments: