Friday, January 25, 2013

"Natural Man and It Mattereth Not"

Spencer, Annie and the kids have been here for almost two weeks. I feel bad when they come because they are pulled in so many directions with friends and family wanting to see them. I woke up this morning a little bit sad knowing they will be leaving for Boston in the morning. I know they are happy to be going home, even though it is only around 20 degrees back there right now. I wish I would have taken some pictures of the kids while they were here but the baby got really sick one day and so did their 2 year old. It seems like everyday someone was sick with the coughing, fever and ear infections. Spencer has been doing treatments on my hip while he's been here. I can really feel a difference in the strength in my muscles and the pain has subsided a little bit. Now it's up to Dave to continue with my treatments, so we will see how that goes. It may be a little awkward for a son-in-law, but Dave is a nice person. I'm still trying to put a dent in juicing the citrus we picked and I'm so far behind on my work it's going to take me a couple of weeks to catch up. I'm also hosting a baby shower in two weeks and they are expecting a big crowd, so I'm going to be busy getting everything done around here. While I've been reading my little book "Act in Doctrine," by Elder Bednar the first chapter talks about striving to have the character of Christ. He says, "One of the greatest indicators of righteous character is the capacity to recognize and appropriately respond  to other people who are experiencing the very challenge or adversity that is most immediately and forcefully pressing upon us. Character is demonstrated by looking, turning, and reaching outward when the instinctive response of the "natural man" in each of us it to turn inward and to be selfish and self-absorbed." In the second chapter he says, "one of the greatest indicators of our own spiritual maturity is revealed in how we respond to the weaknesses, the inexperience, and the potentially offensive actions of others. A thing, an event, or an expression may be offensive, but you and I can choose not to be offended--"it mattereth not." I don't know if reading this book is going to help me be better or just send me into one of those guilt ridden comas I spend my time in. Anyway, at least I know what is expected of me and right now I am failing miserably.

No comments: