Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day 2011







Today is Memorial Day 2011. This holiday used to represent the start of summer vacation and very hot weather, but for the last three years it has taken on a whole new meaning for me. Our extended family always get together at the Mesa Cemetery on Sunday evening to decorate the graves of our ancestors who have passed through the veil to the spirit world. Last evening as we drove in to the cemetery it was so peaceful. The wind was blowing and our family were gathering. After a few hugs we started on our trek. We met at my beloved Grandma Fern's grave and the little kids were so excited to clean it off and place flowers there. We sang the hymn "High On A Mountain Top" as a tribute to her. Everyone else went on and I walked back to the truck to sit with my Dad because walking has become painful again for me with this darn hip. We had a good visit wondering if these special people in our lives were "hanging out" at the cemetery or if they were mindful of our efforts. It was interesting as we talked to realize that someday my Dad and I would be buried there and hopefully the kids and grand kids would have some nice things to say about us. After the gang got back we had refreshments. Everyone brings their favorite treats and we have a fun time mingling with hugs and laughter. When Rich got back he drove me over to see Kamber's grave. It was quiet with the cool breeze in my face. I miss her so much, but am aware of our Heavenly Father's Plan to be together again at some point. As we drove through the cemetery looking at all the American flags blowing I felt so much gratitude for everything in my life, all those liberties we enjoy as Americans but sometimes take for granted. Mindi has been put on bed rest for the remainder of her pregnancy. I have been trying to do my best to help her with the laundry and Candi was nice to take me to the grocery store on Saturday. Hopefully we can make it through the next five weeks so her baby can be born strong enough to survive. I know it is frustrating for her to not be up doing all the chores she does and it's time for her kids to step in and grow up and learn to "Put Your Shoulder To The Wheel" and move along helping and serving as much as they can.


No comments: