Monday, May 16, 2011

No Pain We Suffer Is Wasted

I hate being in pain. I was told once by a counselor that as human beings we will do anything to get relief from pain. During this earthly life we all experience different kinds of pain, some physical, some emotional and others including psychological and mental. Last week I got in the pool twice to exercise this new metal hip that is now 8 months old. Spencer even tried to convince me that pain is good, it means I'm working hard. After sitting for three hours in church yesterday I was up all night with just a dull aching pain. I don't even remember sleeping at all, but I'm sure there was a short time of snoozing. I can honestly say that I would rather be in physical pain than some of the others I have experienced. During childbirth I remember begging the doctors to help give me something to relieve the agony of labor, but they always gave me an excuse. This April Conference, in a talk there was a quote by Elder Orson F. Whitney who wrote: "No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude and humility. It is through our sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation that we gain the education that we come here to acquire." So as I struggle with the everyday ups and downs hopefully I'm gaining that education I've come here to get.

No comments: