Monday, October 5, 2009

Pilgramage to Salt Lake

As a young family we used to go to Utah at least once a year to see Rich's family in Richfield and Salt Lake. As our children got older and more involved with school and sports we only made it up there a few times. Rich goes every year for his missionary reunion with President M. Russell Ballard, but because of my fear of flying I haven't gone for a long time. I think one of the last times I flew was to Salt Lake. Last year I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't be left behind this year and I lived up to that promise. Anyway, my sister Mell and her husband Larry love to travel there because he is from Utah and they used to live and teach in the Salt Lake area. After being in the car for four days and sleeping in hotels for five nights, I know now why I haven't gone to Utah in a very very long time. We had a good time and laughed a lot, saw some of the most beautiful country and even made it to the reunion, but I know now that I'm NO spring chicken and I probably won't do that trip again. The first day we went to St. George for our first pit stop and went to see the Temple there. It is a beautiful building with two huge staircases that go up to two doors on either side. I think that must have been the entrance at some time but now they have an entrance with a fountain and the most beautiful flowers I have ever seen. As I looked down at one of the flower beds they had planted all purple flowers, I knew that must be for Kamber. The next day we went on to Salt Lake and ended up at "Sweets" which is a candy factory. We didn't take the tour but bought lots of candy to bring home to the family. They make salt water taffy and chocolate covered gummy bears and all sorts of goodies. You can buy their candy everywhere, even at Walmart but it was fun to go to the factory anyway. I will continue my travel report tomorrow, I had some really special experiences.


Me in front of the St.George Temple

I thought this was neat with the flag and the steeple.

"Kamber's" purple flower bed.


This was the biggest, prettiest flower I have ever seen.

1 comment:

The McNeil Family said...

I am glad u made it and enjoyed your trip. It sounds like it was a great trip so far,can't wait to hear more.