Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Questions for God

I have been wondering a lot lately about where my life is and how I got here. The talk on Sunday was about the three questions missionaries ask, "where did I come from? What am I doing here? And where am I going?" One of my questions is why would our Heavenly Father, who says he loves us, send us down to a place that he knew was ugly, dangerous, and full of temptation? It seems like since Kamber passed away we have found everything we could to read on adversity. There are many promises given that are suppose to help but sometimes that just isn't enough. I've been reading a book called "The Power of Adversity." It is just pages of different quotes about adversity. One of the little quotes is by Marvin J. Ashton. He talks about the different crosses we bear. Some of the crosses we bear are: the cross of loneliness; the cross of physical limitations; the cross of poor health; the cross of success; the cross of transgression; the cross of temptation; the cross of beauty, fame, or wealth; the cross of criticism; the cross of peer rejection... Then he says God has made a promise to us to "Carry your crosses with strength, with purpose, and while you do, count the blessings of God's strength." I guess I need to pick up my cross and drag it along the way and hopefully think of all my blessings today.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Well said! That is a great quote. Thanks for sharing. You and Rich haven't changed a bit. Neither have Mike and I. Growing old and having your brain get muddled sure helps when it comes to accepting reality---Also, losing some of the 20/20 vision of youth helps soften the edges, too!