Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Working Hard on the Pomegranate Harvest

I just got back from my morning bike ride. I've been trying hard to make it a habit to get at least a mile done each day. Mindi walks while Trulie and I ride our bikes to her pre-school and then we continue around the big block. Today was really nice as a storm is moving in so it's cool and windy. You really can't beat the weather here in spring and fall, it's just the summer that is pure miserable.  We've been working hard trying to get our harvest of pomegranates picked and juiced. Last Friday Julie and Aubrey came down and we juiced for a few hours. Then yesterday Mindi and I continued all morning until we were tired. This morning my niece Victoria came over to help pick so she and my other niece will juice tomorrow at my sister's house.  This has been a weird year with my Mom and Sister not able to help and my Dad gone, it's put most of the work on Mindi and me.  I remember last year when we were all here working hard I could tell Dad was struggling. I knew he didn't feel well but he continued to help us as long as he could. I had the feeling it would be our last time working together on this project and I was right as he passed away a few months later. As I was juicing yesterday I was looking at my hands and I could see my Dad's hands in mine. It was a strange feeling to think of him as I worked. Things are changing in the family as we get older and busier. I'm afraid that if we don't get more help in the future the pomegranate jelly may be a thing of the past, it's way too much work for a couple of people, we almost need an army.

No comments: