Saturday, November 7, 2015

Juicing Done, Jelly Next

I love the smell of fresh pomegranate juice. It brings back so many memories of our family picking and juicing this fruit together. I remember one year when Dad was struggling with cancer, he suggested we just buy some instead of picking them. I'm sure it's because it is really hard work to drive around, get on a ladder and pick the fruit for a senior citizen, or anyone for that matter. After my Mom squashed his idea of buying thousands, it became a joke between Dad and I. Every year when the pomegranates showed up in the grocery store for $2.99 a piece, I would call and ask him how many he wanted me to buy? On Wednesday as Mindi and I went through the produce department there they were, the first box of Pomegranates of the season.  I made the comment  how I wished I could call him and ask him how many he wanted me to purchase, then hear him laugh or give me a number. I miss him so much. Yesterday I started juicing at 8:00 a.m. and finally finished at 4:00 p.m.. Mindi and her kids helped me for a couple of hours but I did most of them by myself.  When Rich passed through from work and his scout day camp calling, I told him I didn't think I could do this again by myself. I didn't get much sympathy, just a comment how he could cut down our nine trees then. Things are changing in the family as our parents get old and pass away, and I'm no spring chicken either. After yesterday I don't know how many more years I will have the strength to do it. If the next generation doesn't want to embrace this tradition it will be the end of our pomegranate jelly making. That would be so sad for all of us who have worked so hard, starting with Aunt Tenna. Now next week the real fun begins as I spend many more hours making jelly, I'll need to rest up a couple of days before I start the next step. I'm tired and have a headache today.

No comments: