Saturday, May 2, 2015

"Are You Sure That's Your Mentally Ill Mother?"

A couple of weeks ago Candi and B.J. took me to lunch, Mexican Food, yum.  We had a great time and when the waitress gave us the bill she said, "did I hear you call her Mom? Are you sure she's your Mom, she looks so young." I perked up a little bit and Candi said, "Wow, you've just made her day." I apologized to Candi and off we went. Later on in the week Mindi had some girls over working on the carnival. While we were visiting I told them what the waitress had said. One of the girls chimed in and said, "was that before she saw you walk?"  In my mind I thought, "did she just really say that to me?" Earlier this week I had someone tell me that I'm mentally ill and that's why I'm the way I am. I love it when people with no psychological experience diagnose others. At first it really stung a bit until I realized that people who judge and condemn others, must see themselves in those they judge and that's what triggers their ability to insult them. This morning as I was reading my scriptures and writing in my journal, my thoughts came to my Grandma and my own Mother. They both had hard times but were able to always keep positive and stay the course. What makes me different than them? Why didn't I get that DNA that causes an overabundance of positive thinking, knowing that things will work out for my good? Anyway, I'm sure this isn't going to be the last time that ignorant people decide to shoot their mouths off, but I want to channel my inner voice to not give my power away to those who don't have my best interest in their thoughts and actions.

No comments: