Thursday, November 14, 2013

Jelly Done, Stopping the Chatter

For the last few weeks I have been totally bogged down with our pomegranate operation. After picking and juicing for a week, then making jelly these last two weeks, I finally got to the end of my rope. I didn't want to do one more batch, and besides I only had one jar left. I still have a few gallons of fresh hand-squeezed red juice, but I'm done, no more this year. I could tell the stress was taking me down to a place I visit often but hate to be. I haven't been able to sleep which makes me cranky and crazy. When I woke up this morning I decided I needed to get back to the basics. I needed to read my scriptures, say a prayer for guidance and read a little bit out of my book. The chapter I read today talked about that little voice that is always playing in our heads. The conversation I have with myself is really important to what mood I will be in. I remember when I went to Landmark they called it the chatter or voice in your head that never stops. The problem is, there is no way to make that little voice go away. So I need to learn how to control my thoughts, something that is very hard for me. It's easy at times for me to see everything wrong in my life. The things I don't like about my life experiences and where I am. Last night as I was listening to the news some of the stories were heart breaking. The football player who died after hitting his head during a game. A husband who shot and killed his wife, fourteen year-old daughter and his brother-in-law. There was even a three year-old boy found at the bottom of a pool. Our family has been there and the pain and heartache that experience causes is overwhelming. So even though my life isn't perfect and never will be, I have a great family, testimony of the Savior, and gratitude for what I do have in my life, most of which I don't deserve. So the chatter will continue to talk to me but hopefully I will be able to keep the good and ask the bad to leave, so I can get some sleep and continue to walk my pathway through this life.

No comments: