Friday, November 8, 2013

Company, Jelly Making and Gratitude

 
Last weekend in the middle of our pomegranate operation, Rich's nephew David, his wife Brittany and young son Connor came down from Utah to collect some materials for their house they are remodeling up there. His mother is Rich's only sister and she is an amazing person. When we go to visit she has the cleanest house and the best food. She is one of the Stake Relief Society Presidents in Sandy, Utah. I felt bad because we were so tired and dirty when they came we got takeout from Chili's. Then on Saturday night after a day of hard work and craziness we had Rich stop and buy Mexican Food. I had to make sure that they knew we didn't eat out every meal, occasionally Mindi and I will put something together. On Sunday we cooked out steaks and had a regular Sunday dinner before they headed back to Utah. I have spent most of this week catching up from the chaos of last week and trying to put a dent in my jelly making. I have had a lot of time to think about why we do this. The older I get the more I wonder if it is worth it, as I see my almost 85 year-old parents sit and work as hard as they can to help get the job done. They are such a great example to me of pitching in and working until the job is done. I guess we can thank the old pioneer DNA in both of them. I know Dad wasn't feeling well and he thinks the cancer has spread to his kidneys. When he went to the hospital last week they could see he was pretty dehydrated so they gave him two IVs of fluids. My sister called to tell me she is worried about him because he told her he didn't think he had must time left "on this old earth." I don't feel that great myself so I know he must feel terrible. Anyway, we will keep him as long as he was meant to stay and then he can go meet his family, a father he never knew because he died when my Dad was only three days old. I also hope Kamber will be there to give him a great big hug. Life is precious and I need to be grateful for everyday I have to spend with all my family because we never know when the clocks stops and we are on to the other side.
 
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

can I have some jelly--??? I love your jelly