Saturday, November 16, 2013

Honoring Mom For Her Birthday

 
On Monday my Mom will turn 84 years old. For her birthday all she wanted was for us kids to go to the Temple with her and Dad. So yesterday was the day to honor our Mother. I am sad to say it has been a couple of years since I attended a session. After losing Kamber, having a hip replacement, and other struggles, I have neglected to do what would have helped me the most, going to the Temple. My parents and family are aware of my anxiety when it comes to doing certain things in my life. Some that cause me great stress and they know what bothers me, but I really wanted to go support my Mom. Earlier in the week my Dad called and said, "I know you want to honor your Mother by going to the Temple. I just want you to know that if you can't do it, we understand." The old reverse psychology at work, made me more determined to go. So yesterday all the stars and moon aligned and I was able to attend the Temple. I was so proud of myself and there were only a couple of times the old panic started creeping in. At those times I would think of my Dad sitting there with prostate cancer and how this might be the last time we will be together in the Temple. My sister came down with something and didn't want to share it with us, so she and her husband didn't come. My other brother has chosen a different path so he wasn't there either, so it was an intimate setting for us. It is good to have Len and Julie home from the mission, we can always count on them for support. This year I am trying to do things that are unreasonable for me. Things that are hard and take me out of my comfort zone. As I sat in the Temple thinking about this past year and the things I have done that I never thought I would be able to do, I was grateful for the opportunity to expand my life. I even wore my "I can do hard things" necklace I made before going in to surgery three years ago. I know life is hard for everyone and we never know what the future will bring, but today I am thankful for a loving Heavenly Father and his help in overcoming my shortcomings. 





No comments: