Saturday, November 2, 2013

Volleyball, Halloween and Pomegranate Juicing

We  have a family tradition to pick and juice pomegranates the first weekend of November. This year it just so happened that Halloween was on Thursday and our marathon juicing party was the next day. We also had Tristyn's last volleyball game of the year which is when they honor all the senior players. They have done pretty good this year but we could really use some really tall girls, I guess Gilbert just doesn't grow them that tall. On Halloween we were busy all day and Mindi tried to get Trulie to take a nap, knowing that it was going to be a busy night with Trick or Treating. She would not go to sleep, so finally Mindi just got her costume on and we took some pictures and as she got her in the stroller to head out into the night she fell asleep. All Mindi could say was, "Unbelievable!" Life just seems to go that way for us right now. Last night we were still juicing as it got dark. We took a break for dinner and then finished the rest and cleaned up. Everyone else had other things to do but those of us who were there to the end were so tired. Poor Dad had been to the hospital most of the morning having an IV as he is dehydrated and so his kidneys aren't working that well. He and Mom at 85 years old were there to the end, Dad juicing the last pomegranate at 8:10 p.m. There is such a great feeling when it is over and you know it will be a year before we do it again. We did have more help than we ever have and it was nice that Julie is back from the mission to help. As I was picking on Wednesday I had such a strong sense of admiration and love for my Aunt Tenna who worked so hard and taught my Mom how to do it. It will be fun to see her again and I know she was smiling down from Heaven on us as we forged ahead. Now the fun part starts next week as week start making the jelly, that's another story. I need a few days to rest and work on my house, then I will start the jelly.
 
 




1 comment:

Unknown said...

you seriously have more ambition than I do--no way on earth would I pull all those seeds out of a pomegranate. I love them, but I hate peeling and taking the time to get such a little seed--you go girl--I love you