Thursday, August 29, 2013

Doing Something "Unreasonable"

Part of what I learned at the Landmark Forum is to get out my comfort zone. To do things that are "unreasonable" for me to do. Although I don't think I'm quite ready to drive or fly, I have done some things lately that I probably wouldn't have done last month. Candi and B.J. wanted to get some family members together and go floating down the Salt River. We used to take the kids all the time for Family Night and  float the river and then eat dinner there. It has probably been at least twenty something years since I've been. One of the last times Spencer almost drowned and Ethan pulled him out, lucky us. This morning Mindi and I met Candi, B.J., Leah and her husband Dan, and their brother Tanner at the river and we spent almost three hours floating the river. It wasn't running very fast so we spent a lot of the time dragging on the rocks and trying to stay out of the trees. We were lucky that it was mostly cloudy, but the sun was intense on my face and legs. If I go again I will definitely wear pants and a long sleeve shirt. The desert is really pretty to me. I pulled my camera out as we were floating but the lense didn't open up all the way so I only got partial pictures, darn it. A few times we heard thunder and thought it was going to rain but it never did. At the end you have to get over to the side and get out or you will end up floating to Mexico. Mindi and I were tied together and then we had a rope to keep us with the others. When it was time to get out she jumped off her tube and dropped the rope and I kept going downstream. Mindi was trying to swim but hit a rock so B.J. and Candi took off running on the side of the river until Candi finally caught up with me. Boy did I have a hard time getting out of my tube on the slippery rocks with my bad hip and a cramp in the back of my hamstring. A really nice, and cute young guy that was there with his son came out to help pull me closer to shore. It took three of my kids to finally get me upright. We had so much fun laughing all the way down. I know we could have stayed home and got more laundry and cleaning done, but it was totally "unreasonable" for me to take off and do something hard. I am so tired, but so glad to have spent some time with my girls.



1 comment:

kittrean tanner said...

Hey! Hi! I need to come back over and have an ice cream bar. Did you find a good place to hide them? did you sell all of the puppies? Okay ... if I can break away ... I am coming to your house ... the company is good and there is plenty of entertainment. ;)