Monday, August 12, 2013

"Pray for Sharks?"

I spent most of last week in my "end of summer funk." That is when August hits and it is still 108 degrees everyday and my pool turns green. We fight it every year. Sparkling blue water for ten months and then when the temps hit 119 and the monsoons blow in, the water goes crazy and the algae blooms, turning my beautiful pool into a pea green color.  Rich has spent a pretty penny and lots of work to try and restore it back to blue water, so hopefully before it gets too cold to swim we will get it back to normal. Spencer is still in Florida in training camp with the Buccaneers. Annie was there all last week enjoying the weather. Not really, the heat index one day was 121 degrees, but I think their visit lifted his spirits. The NFL is a hard gig and I don't know how families with little kids do it playing for different teams every year. I will be glad when someday they are settled in a nice area and I don't have to worry everyday about getting a call about an injury. It's tough being a Mom. Today in my reading "Enjoy Life's Journey," she was talking about marriage. Sometimes Rich and I struggle in that area, no news flash there.  I was reading about how we can enhance our marriage by doing a few things like, sacrifice, being flexible, taking each other less for granted, foster a healthy dependence and take responsibility for your own growth and happiness. Are you kidding me, Rich isn't suppose to make me happy for 50 years? Anyway, she told a little story about a little old couple who had told her how they prayed for "Sharks" in their marriage. When she asked them what "sharks" meant, it was trials. They had heard a little story about five men who were adrift on a rubber raft in the Atlantic Ocean. They despaired for their lives. They were all asleep when a shark bumped the raft trying to overturn it. This awakened them and they thought that was the end. They tried to fight it off with a four-inch pocket knife. The activity on the raft was seen by a seaman on a passing freighter, which rescued them. They had been sound asleep. The shark awakened them and the terror caused enough activity that they were rescued. Sometimes we need to be rescued from ourselves!" Cute little story but I don't really enjoy all the sharks that circle around me daily. Life is hard but we continue to have hope in the future and I pray that the sharks will leave me alone, at least for a little while.

No comments: