Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Reverse Bucket List

It was nice to wake up this morning to temps in the 70's and a light rain. We appreciate every drop of moisture we get here in the desert. The month of August is a busy one for us. We have six birthdays, the start of school and Mindi's wedding anniversary. On Saturday I went to a birthday party for Major who was going to turn eight on Sunday. They had it at a trampoline, jumping extravaganza place in Chandler. I sat for two hours on a picnic bench listening to hundreds of kids having fun. When we left I had the worst headache ever. As we were leaving I made the comment that I can put this place in my category never to go to again, with Golfland and Knotts Berry Farm. My son-in-law Dave said, "you know Teri, most people have a bucket list of things they want to do before they die. You have a list of things you are never going to do again." He's right, the older I get the more picky I'm going to be about the places I get myself stuck in. Tristyn turned fifteen yesterday. I hardly saw her all day because she spent all her time with her friends. Oh the good old days of being a teenager. Today is my daughter-in-law Jenn's birthday. I don't even know how old she is but she is special to our family. Any mother who has had to bury a child and carried on, has my total admiration and respect. Annie left Monday to see Spencer in Florida. He doesn't do well in training camp when he doesn't see his family, so I'm glad she and the kids made it down to visit him. She called yesterday and boy does she appreciate the "dry heat" here in Arizona because the humidity is terrible there. She has two kids born in August too and I made a little Minnie Mouse quilt for Abney and sent them some clothes. Last summer I started a flip flop quilt for me, but as fall came I lost interest in it. When I got home from the beach I decided I would finish it as my summer project. When I got it done I felt like I needed to give it to Jenn. I had put a quilt square on the back of a picture of Kamber. I gave it to her on Saturday and she seemed to like it. So I came home and started making some flip flops for my own quilt, it will probably look a lot like the first one, and hopefully it won't take me a year to finish it but I know I did the right thing. Life continues to teach me lessons I need to learn. I still find myself letting others affect the way I feel about myself. Those traps are just sitting there waiting for me to put my leg in, but hopefully someday I can overcome some of these feelings and get myself in a better place.




No comments: